While you are likely right about RFCs, general mail administrator hygiene like having rptr's, etc. is something we've all had to work on since the days of AOL being the 1000lb gorilla and enforcing postmaster guidelines.  RFCs typically codify real-world practices not drive them.

My argument is since you can't join Google's postmaster tools until you have SPF or DKIM, well that sort of answers it for you from Google's perspective:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/9981691?hl=en