> On 19 Jun 2022, at 20:22, Dave Crocker via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> It occurred to me that it might help for me to provide more context to the
> questions I asked.  I was possibly relying too much on the thread context...
>

> On 6/18/2022 3:40 PM, Noel Butler via mailop wrote:
>
>> I was a very early (even in testing) user of SPF,  It's rather commical
>> reading these FUD sayers about SPF and mailing lists, it has never been a
>> problem with mailing lists, not using mailman nor its more common
>> predecessor majordomo, and I've never noticed anything wrong with qmail
>> users ezmlm.
>
> This establishes the context of SPF and mailing lists.  Hence my question.
>
> Also, the above text makes the incorrect assertion that this isn't a problem
> when a message passes through a mailing list.  However, SPF breaks even with
> basic MTA relaying, nevermind mailing lists -- unless the MTA is registered
> in the SPF record.  The delivery/re-post behavior of mailing lists not only
> breaks SPF but almost always also breaks DKIM.  (This latter point is what
> motivated ARC.)

Most modern mailing lists rewrite the 5321.from by default so they can bounce
handle. I don’t think SPF breaks mailing lists as much as folks claim.

I have heard, and in the past made, the “SPF breaks mailing lists” but I
stopped saying it because it’s not true in the vast majority of cases. For
instance, the 5321.from on this list is boun...@mailop.org
<mailto:boun...@mailop.org>. Looking at other lists in my mailbox it’s similar.
Mailing lists rewrite the 5321.from and thus does not break SPF.

It does break DMARC, but that’s another discussion.

laura

--
The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins