It appears that Tobias Fiebig via mailop <tob...@fiebig.nl> said:
>My argument was that it is hardly possible to gain a sufficient understanding
>of many protocols to be able to thoroughly design network
>measurements while accounting for all possible harms within the time available
>for a PhD.

I happen to have a PhD in computer science, and if that is your
experience, I feel sorry for your students. I also wonder about the
kind of department that would let students do that kind of "research"
without supervision from faculty who are sufficiently familiar with
the field to ensure that their students do real work. "Are SPF lookups
making too many queries" could be a plausible master's project but
it's way too trivial for a PhD thesis.

Please, give us the IP ranges these clowns are using so we can block all
traffic from them.

R's,
John