On Sun, 8 Jan 2023, Andrew C Aitchison via mailop wrote:

On Sun, 7 Jan 2023, John Levine via mailop wrote:

But more to the point, why do you care? The number of phones these
days that can get SMS but not email rounds to zero, so if someone
wants to send you mail, they can send you mail and don't need to fool
around with a flaky gateway.

At least one of the respondents works for a healthcare provider.

(In the UK) I get SMS reminders of hospital appointments.

A push-reminder of an appointment is better than one that drops
silently into my mailbox, and if it makes a noise in my pocket rather
rhan on my desk, also good.

Once upon a time SMS had a reputation for stronger security and
privacy than email. I don't know how much that reputation was
or is deserved.

Oh, and you don't need wifi coverage or have data enabled
to receive SMS messages on your phone.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                   and...@aitchison.me.uk