I assumed most people had already tuned their systems to ignore +all or
overly broad IP ranges, spammers abused that like a decade ago.

I feel like we even discussed it here, including having to exempt Apple who
had their entire class A listed at one point (they no longer do).

Saying anyone can send mail as your domain is saying you don't care about
who abuses your domain... or you're protesting against
modern email and pining for the old days.

And agreed, it doesn't solve the mailing list DMARC problem because the spf
is done against the envelope sender which will be the bounce address for
the mailing list, and that won't align with the from header domain.

Brandon