On 7/11/23 2:09 PM, Sebastian Nielsen via mailop wrote:
I think sender adress should be changed.

I think that /forwarding/, as in altering the envelope recipient address(es), probably should have the envelope sender address changed.

I say /probably/ because I'm sure there are some situations where it should not be done. I just can't think of them now.

The reason is, you didn't compose the email, you shouldn't use the sender's identity.

Arguably none of the following composed the message:

- Outbound MSA re-sends the message it receives from the submitter ostensibly using the submitted envelope from address.

- Inbound spam filter re-sends the message on to the ultimate mailbox server re-using the inbound envelope from address.

- Outbound compliance filter re-sends the message out to the world re-using the inbound envelope from address.

I think that the envelope from address SHOULD NOT be changed in any of these scenarios.

Fortunately, none of these scenarios are email terminal points even though they are SMTP terminal points.

When forwarding a email, you overtake the spam responsibility for that email in any case, so you ought to ensure your server isn't used for spam.

I mostly agree.

On the other hand, you have the responsibility to ensure a forwarding user doesn't set up anyones else's address as forward, by for example using double-opt-in verification or where you really know they hold that email adress (even when authorized users are using the forward system, for example employees of a company).

Agreed.

Couple these 2 together and you don't risk up ending up on blacklists because a user forwards a spam through your forward, because spam is both filtered AND forward is confirmed only.

Confirmation is completely independent of spam.

Spam filters can fail open or email can be quite above board but unwanted by the ultimate recipient. Ergo spam can slip through a forwarder.

I have always tought it’s a ugly practice to forward the email as-is, as its same as forging someone's signature.

I don't know if I would consider it proper or what I would choose to do in a vacuum. However I didn't make the choice in a vacuum. I had prior art both with physical postal mail being forwarded and years of eMail / SMTP before me that I started by matching behavior.

At some point I switched to SRS when forwarding. I think I did that as part of supporting and advocating for SPF.

You use someone elses identity, because you CLAIM to have received a email from their server.

I've said similar using slightly different words. E.g. a mailing list generates a new email that is substantively based on the message that it received, purportedly from a given sender.

The receiving server on the other end cannot know this.

Agreed.

This is why sender address should ALWAYS be rewritten when forwarding an email.
I can't agree with the absolute nature of this.

There is also the question of what is forwarding. Do the MSA, ESP, and compliance relays listed above count as forwarding? Does me creating a script to receive messages from the LDA and attach them to a new outbound message to a different recipient count as forwarding?

Aside: The last bit about attachments is what I want to end up doing for my personal accounts on the various systems I have accounts on. Originate and send a new email from my account on a remote system to an email address of my choosing elsewhere in a way that does not run afoul of SPF / DKIM / DMARC filtering.

Grant. . . .