On 7/11/23 8:15 AM, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
Surprisingly, A-record fallback works just fine for B2B email.

My experience differs.  I've found A-record fallback to work inconsistently.

I think that A-record fallback is dependent on the sending MTA.

No one notices. Or at least no one appears to reject mail solely for that reason and inbound mail works perfectly. It is, after all, the way email was originally designed to work.
The few times that I've tried to use A-record fallback -- testing for science / discussions like this one -- have resulted in failure.

Though if memory serves that's because my MTA of choice balks at the lack of MX record for the recipient domain.

IMHO, A-record fallback in 2023 is what Bob Ross would call a happy little accident.

However, I admit my evidence for that is ~2y old. I wouldn't *intentionally* allow an actively mailing domain to rely on A fallback...

I tried A-record fallback (on a test domain) some time in 2022 and it failed when I tested.

Grant. . . .