On Tue, 2023-07-11 at 13:36 -0500, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:

> However, I don't see any mention of a-record fallback in RFC 5321.  --
> I didn't chase any updates.  --  I do see four occurances of "fall" in
> the document, three of which are fall( )back and all three have to do
> with something other than MX records vs a-records.
>
> As such, I'd question the veracity of current SMTP needing to support
> a-record fallback.

5.1.  Locating the Target Host

Once an SMTP client lexically identifies a domain to which mail will
be delivered for processing (as described in Sections 2.3.5 and 3.6),
a DNS lookup MUST be performed to resolve the domain name... The lookup
first attempts to locate an MX record associated with the name... If an
empty list of MXs is returned, the address is treated as if it was
associated with an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0, pointing to
that host.