On 2023-07-11 at 20:58:19 UTC-0400 (11 Jul 2023 20:58:19 -0400)
John Levine via mailop <jo...@taugh.com>
is rumored to have said:

It appears that Grant Taylor via mailop <gtay...@tnetconsulting.net> said:
On 7/11/23 2:48 PM, John Levine via mailop wrote:
If your From: domain has neither an A nor an MX, I don't think
you're going to get much mail of any sort delivered.
I believe it's possible for two entities to configure their email
servers to exchange email with each other without the use of DNS.

Well, sure, you can do anything by private arrangement.

But if you want to exchance mail with other mail servers over the
public Internet, an A will do but you really want an MX.

Primarily because if you don't, it may confuse and distract people who should know better, and generate LONG mailing list threads.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire