On 7/11/23 2:48 PM, John Levine via mailop wrote:
If your From: domain has neither an A nor an MX, I don't think you're going to get much mail of any sort delivered.
I believe it's possible for two entities to configure their email servers to exchange email with each other without the use of DNS.

E.g.:

- IBM configures their email servers to send all @lotus.example email to lotusmail which resolves via /etc/hosts to 192.0.2.1 - Lotus configures their email servers to send all @ibm.example email to ibmmail which resolves via /etc/hosts to 198.51.100.5

Ergo IBM and Lotus can exchange @ibm.example and @lotus.example email with each other without the use of DNS.

This would most likely be done in a business-to-business partner type configuration where companies wanted to make sure that such B2B communication did NOT traverse the public Internet.

Presuming of course that IBM and Lotus had some sort of private connection and routing between each other.

I know that this is very far off the beaten path. But I believe it's germane to discussions about what is and is not possible with email as well as what are the minimum requirements.

I believe truly understanding these fringe cases help elaborate and foster a better understanding of what is more common.

Grant. . . .