> On 19 Aug 2023, at 12:31, Gellner, Oliver via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On 19.08.2023 at 12:30 Benny Pedersen via mailop wrote:
>>
>> prove it, it just loose dmarc aligment, if it was hardfails, lets not ignore
>> domain owners, ever
>>
>> spf softfails can still pass dkim, hopefully you know this
>
> You don’t have to ignore domain owners as they do not put any kind of policy
> into SPF records. SPF does not allow one to to this.
> What domain owners can do is set up a policy in the DMARC record. Of course
> on the receiver side you can make up any number of additional or even
> contradictory policies like the one you described, as in „your server, your
> rules“. But I believe the guidance from M3AAWG which actually takes existing
> policies from the sender side into account is more friendly and provides less
> false positives. In a nutshell this means: Do not reject emails based solely
> on SPF failures as soon as the sending domain has a valid DMARC record.

This recommendation doesn’t make sense. For companies that actually reject due
to SPF, they’re most likely going to do it after MAIL FROM: At this point in
the transaction, they don’t know what the DMARC domain is. They can look up
DMARC for the domain in the MAIL FROM: but that may or may not be connected to
the actual domain in the 5322.from.

I mean, I think it’s a bad idea to reject for SPF failures, but for folks who
do I can’t imagine they want to see the full content of the message before just
throwing it away. That seems wasteful.

laura

--
The Delivery Expert