I agree with you Neil,
let me specify it better even if it's a bit off topic.
The FBL SHOULD NOT be used like that but this is how users act based on the feedback we collected from end users when we tried to understand why we was receiving so much FBL on double-optin collected lists and transactional e-mail. There is also a worst case: users sometime select the whole list of weekly e-mail received in years and click "junk" in order to achieve a "delete all + unsubscribe", often they do it when their mailbox get full it's a fast cleanup. So, TRUE! It's not the way it should be used but it's what the end users is experiencing and expecting.

Coming back in topic:
Not paying to get ARF FBL (so not unsubscribing anymore FBL) will be seen as a bad practice? Maybe this is the final act for the FBL service that is just mis-used and so no-more useful also for gathering reputation data...