On 2023-11-19 at 06:59:37 UTC-0500 (Sun, 19 Nov 2023 12:59:37 +0100)
Alessandro Vesely via mailop <ves...@tana.it>
is rumored to have said:

I don't think someone can drop almost all mail and still call itself a mail server.

Were you running a mail system in the early-mid 2000s?

At that time, I tracked the performance of a mid-sized spam control system for a business that handled around a million inbound SMTP sessions per day. The proportion of mail we rejected as spam was persistently over 90%, and at times broke 98%. We never had a significant FP problem.

The state of email is better today, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if some sites still have a 90%+ spam burden.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire