My point is not cryptographic merit. FWIW, any DKIM algorithm is way more secure than what we need to authenticate emails, even RSA-SHA1 with 700bytes keys (oh well, 512b keys were broken as a proof of concept some time ago.) As Oliver pointed out, all those algorithms are more than enough good for our purpose.

I understand ed25519 can be skipped with minor inconveniences. However, for compliance, I'd have expected major mail sites to conform to the standard, while small servers possibly lagged behind. Instead, the opposite happens.

There was a period when OpenSSL didn't fully support an algorithm, but that's now over. The path is well paved.

John wrote:
If there's two signatures for the same domain, one is good and one is bad,
which do you believe?

The choice between SHA-1 and SHA-256 has been there for years, and no one had troubles wondering what to do with two sigs by the same domain using different hashes one of which verifies while the other does not. It's trivial. How does an elliptic curve put a wholly different problem?

I don't think Google have budget problems either...