Dnia 22.12.2023 o godz. 10:54:54 Randolf Richardson, Postmaster via mailop
pisze:
> > Tracking/spying elements in email messsages are usually intended to spy on
> > the *recipient* - did the recipient read the email at all, did he clicked
> > on a link in the email etc.
>
>       ...mail server logs would be one obvious angle, but even that would
> require additional effort to extract the target user's eMail activity
> since mail server logs cycle through pretty quickly (at least on a
> lot of busy Linux systems, anyway).  Log retention is generally used
> for troubleshooting, so a long-term retention usually isn't needed.
>
>       Another method is for a malicious sender to deceptively include
> tracking software in an attachment.  Most security software stops
> this, which includes security daemons on mail servers that can also
> be combined with blacklists of IP addresses and/or domain names that
> distribute malicious eMails or are otherwise-infected systems that
> can be used to commit such types of SMTP abuse.

The most commonly seen method of tracking is probably inclusion of
specifically crafted links in the message, that refer to a tracking server
run by the sender, so the sender knows if the recipient clicked on a link in
the message.

Also the HTML-formatted message may include images loaded from sender's
server, which can also be used to track whether the recipient has opened the
message at all.

But all this has absolutely nothing to do with message being DKIM-signed.

> > What does one have to do with the other and to the discussion about
> > publishing keys (the latter - to my understanding - serves only possible
> > legal purposes in case the sender needs to deny the fact that he sent the
> > message, which for me is a completely made-up scenario, an absolute
> > fiction).
>
>       Some of our clients are investigators, lawyers, etc., who
> occasionally need high quality (read "reliable") evidence for the
> cases they're working on.  DKIM, when available, makes it easier to
> authenticate eMail evidence in a way that can satisfy these needs.
>
>       While this doesn't happen very often, I'd say that, since its
> inception, DKIM-based authenticity has moved from being a completely
> made-up scenario to having some actual utility.

I was not talking about *confirming* the authenticity of a message by means
of a DKIM signature, but the opposite - what was being discussed here, ie.
the possibility for the sender to *deny* that he has sent the message
(despite it being DKIM signed), because of previous publication of the DKIM
private key. That seems a fictional scenario for me.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa