> In message <6585e535.11582.3a72...@postmaster.inter-corporate.com>,
> Randolf Richardson, Postmaster via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> writes
>
> >> The most commonly seen method of tracking is probably inclusion of
> >> specifically crafted links in the message, that refer to a tracking server
> >> run by the sender, so the sender knows if the recipient clicked on a link
> >> in
> >> the message.
> >
> >       You're entirely correct -- thanks for adding this as I wasn't even
> >thinking of it.
>
> ask most any ESP .. this works poorly these days, robots click on the
> links to make sure they are safe and mailbox provides pre-fetch images
> for reasons of performance, safety and (tada !) to make tracking harder

        We are an ESP, and this is something we're considering in the
future, along with a variety of other techniques.  We haven't spoken
with other ESPs about this sort of thing.

> people who speculate about lawyers need are generally not lawyers. I've

        The movie-making industry is probably the worst offender of getting
factual things like this wrong. :D

> been an expert witness on email related cases often enough to know that
> they are often perfectly satisfied to have a description of a well-
> formed set of Received header fields...

        I agree as I've done this too.  In my experience, most of requests
were early enough that the evidence was helpful in changing the case
direction toward a settlement rather than taking the matter to court.

> ... usual quote : if you think cryptography solves your problem then you
> don't understand cryptography and you don't understand your problem

        Right.

> Investigators are even less interested in proof, they're reading all the
> headers, checking DNS records and jumping to (usually plausible)
> conclusions !

        It depends on the investigators/lawyers.  Many do want the quick and
easy approach, but I have encountered some who do want more detail to
make a better case.

> >       Some of the investigators I've dealt with neededd to deal with this
> >specific scnario where someone denied sending an eMail.  Although
> >DKIM can help, if the server logs haven't cycled out yet then an
> >affirmed affidavit that the mail server log entries are authentic has
> >almost always been sufficient for motivating the denying party to
> >suddenly remember that they did send the message.
>
> exactly ... (remember civil cases work on the balance of
> probabilities).. and also remember that there is account takeover,
> people in your household who know your passwords better than you do and
> that's before you get into all the BGP, NTP etc exotica  (if that
> interests you then I once wrote a PhD thesis on all the assumptions we
> make about "traceability" and the circumstances in which they go wrong)

        As I recall, those were probably all civil cases/investigations.

        Would you mind sending me a linjk to your thesis?  That's an
interesting topic, and based on what you've written I get the
impression that you have a lot more experience than I do.

--
Postmaster - postmas...@inter-corporate.com
Randolf Richardson - rand...@inter-corporate.com