> On 26 Jan 2024, at 23:21, Scott Mutter via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> I've had domains listed in Google Postmaster Tools since 2016.  Never gotten
> one lick of any information from any of those except for "No data to display
> at this time. Please come back later. Postmaster Tools requires that your
> domain satisfies certain conditions before data is visible for this chart."
>
> I eventually stopped adding domains because it didn't do me any good.
>
> The 173.225.104.91 server has sent 68 emails to gmail.com <http://gmail.com/>
> email addresses thus far in January 2024.  As far as I know, this block just
> happened today.  Today was the first time it was brought to my attention that
> messages from this server are going into the spam folder.
>
> Again, how am I supposed to know that Google is treating this IP's reputation
> poorly?
>
> How am I supposed to remedy a low reputation?
>

> I set up another domain on the same 173.225.104.91 server, SPF, DKIM, and
> DMARC all set up (and verified with https://www.learndmarc.com
> <https://www.learndmarc.com/>).  Sent a message to an @gmail.com
> <http://gmail.com/> address through this account, and it went to the spam
> folder.
>
> Set up the same domain on another server - 205.209.102.251 - which,
> coincidentally is also an Interserver IP.  Again, verified that SPF, DKIM,
> and DMARC were all set up with https://www.learndmarc.com
> <https://www.learndmarc.com/>.  I sent the same test message to the same
> @gmail.com <http://gmail.com/> address.  Message came through in the INBOX
> without incident.
>
> What conclusions would everybody else draw?

That spam filtering is fickle and deliverability troubleshooting is about
statistics and machine learning.

It’s near impossible to troubleshoot delivery failures at this volume. It may
or may not be a reputation issue. It might be a link you’re using, it might be
the domain is too new, it might be any of a dozen different things.

> It's frustrating because none of the too big to fail email service providers
> have any way to test a sending IP or sending domain's reputation with their
> service.  They block them or weigh them heavily without any method of
> remediation.

There is remediation available. What there isn’t is some imprimatur that
ensures that every email is delivered to the inbox every time unless the sender
considers it spam and agrees with the decision. That’s just not how it works.

> It would be nice if I could check the reputation of my outbound IPs daily and
> be proactive in remedying any issues with these major email service
> providers, rather than have to be told by my clients that something is amiss.
>  And then battle through a 2 week waiting period for the provider to reply
> back or hope that someone from the provider is on MailOps and can provide any
> insight.

You’re blaming the IP but Google filtering isn’t that determinative.

laura

--
The Delivery Expert

Laura Atkins