* Philip Paeps via mailop:

> With such low volume, you will really struggle to get email delivered
> to the larger mailbox providers, whose filtering is largely based on
> reputation. It's almost impossible to build up (and maintain) a
> reputation unless you can manage at least O(hundreds) of messages to
> them per day.

I disagree, because I have never struggled to get mail from my servers
delivered to Google, Microsoft, etc.  Telekom appears to soft-block
unfamiliar mail servers by default, and I had to notify them whenever
a new server went online, but that was a one-time measure for each
individual server. Call it a minor nuisance.

As for building a reputation: I cannot say if that is tied to the email
volume. What I know for a fact is that I operate servers which on some
days don't send a single email to "big players", but have no issue with
getting messages delivered there on other days (using IPv4 and IPv6
alike). Like I already mentioned, I believe this is owed to dilligently
configuring DNS records (DKIM, DANE, SPF, forward and reverse resolution
of mail server addresses) and not sending spam.

-Ralph