On 2024-07-17 00:40, Faisal Misle via mailop wrote:
There's a mailman setting if you go to your web preferences to turn off double
copy, FYI.

thanks for trying to help, but what I asked was different, and is etiquette, not technical.

if I set the option you mention in mailman, the message from the mailing list will be suppressed in favour of the off-list message. this has consequences, the most important being that the message will be relayed to me through a different server. The nature of the messages on this list is such that sometimes they could trigger a spam filter even if they only discussing spam, not actual spam. So on my end I have rules that apply to the mailop server that are more relaxed than the rules that apply to other servers. with the mailman option, I would miss some list messages that I would not want to miss.

nuance: the discussions here are public, on-list. one may have a reason to respond privately off-list. or: one may have a reason to respond both on-list and off-list to intentionally seek attention. but please, be deliberate instead of mindlessly hitting "reply all."

it is not difficult to do like you have done, and to learn the good habit of deliberately deciding to hit "reply list" and not "reply all" in the mail client. I got your message only once, as intended, from the mailing list.