Ed DeHoratius wrote:

> Forgive me for posting a not-necessarily-related-to-Vergil query but I
> wanted to avoid subscribing to a new list just to post one message. Please
> respond individually so the list is not inundated with something they may
> not be interested in.
>
> I am looking for quotes from Romans testifying to the difficulty of Latin.
> I know Quintillian complains about the lack of grammatical correctness in
> the Latin he hears around him but I am wondering if any other 'complaints'
> are extant regarding literature and/or the written word.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Ed DeHoratius

A fascinating topic.  Please keep me informed of your findings.  I've
often if I were transported back to Virgil's time, would I find the
language of the poets elegant when compared to that of the people around
me, or merely stilted and ossified.  Perhaps your findings will shed
some light on this.

Greg Farnum