From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Oct 19 07:15:04 1998
From: "The Oracle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: VIRGIL: Re: mistranslations in West
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:54:52 PDT
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Could we have a sample of the mistranslations, please.

Coming right up...

> As
>someone who was taught a bit of Latin by David West, I would be
>absolutely fascinated,

Oh help. How to dig yourself into a hole... I wasn't meaning to offend,
I do actually like the West translation on the whole. < unintended pun,
sorry...

Anyway, an example of a mistranslation. Lets take book four, line 117.
West translates as "Aeneas and poor Dido are preparing to go hunting
together". Well, the Latin word describing Dido is 'misera', which
should surely be translated as 'lovesick' not 'poor'. I see that using
the word 'poor' gives a sense of the impending tragedy, but the only
problem is : its Juno thats speaking. So by using the word 'poor', West
gives the impression that Juno knows whats going to happen, whereas the
whole point is that Juno *doesn't* know whats going to happen, she
thinks that shes being clever and preventing the Trojans from reaching
Italy by marrying Aeneas off to Dido. The word lovesick would therefore
make much more sense and be less misleading in this context.

Another example, although I will admit this is a bit petty, is book 4
line 348 where West translates:
"You are a Phoenician from Asia". The Latin word is Asia but what is
meant is the area we now know as Lebanon, no?

Anyway those are just my thoughts...
Caro