In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Philip Thibodeau
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I thought the observation about ugly sounding -cq- was a very interesting
>one, and when I went to check it, it seemed to be true:  for a full-corpus
>search on the Latin CDrom yielded about 25 instances of sicque, all fairly
>late, as has been noted, vs. well over a thousand instances of the
>alternative, et sic; so sicque definitely seems to have been avoided.
>
>But then I mentioned this to a colleague, and he suggested that I look up
>plain -cq- .  And there were very nearly 1500 instances of words containing
>that pair -cq-; about 90% of these were the two pronouns quicquam and
>quicquid, which are of course common in classical Latin authors.  So this
>would seem to tell against the theory that -cq- was avoided for reasons of
>dysphony.  My colleague, Mr. Malcolm Hyman, suggested that the reason
>sicque would be avoided was in fact to prevent confusion of the following
>sort:
>1) quicquam is analyzed as quid + quam, and quicquid as quid + quid.
>2) Thus, most of the time when a Latin speaker heard -cqu-, they would
>understand that this pair of sounds was substituting for -d + qu-.

True; perhaps for that reason it didn't really count; morphological
derivation might have excused quicquid and quicquam, whereas adding -que
to sic or nunc or tunc was a wanton act without justification. Or one
could imagine that the cqu from dqu (or rather tque) sounded like a
single long consonant, whereas when the c was original it would have
remained separate. May one compare the French poets' rule on hiatus,
which forbids 'tu as' _habes_ but permits 'tuas' _interfecisti_?

>3) So, sicque would be avoided because it would be confusing, i.e. the
>listener might momentarily confuse it with a form *sidque, or perhaps
>sitque.
>Philip Thibodeau
>Brown University

But the i of `sic' is long, that of `sit' short.

Leofranc Holford-Strevens

Leofranc Holford-Strevens
67 St Bernard's Road                                         usque adeone
Oxford               scire MEVM nihil est, nisi ME scire hoc sciat alter?
OX2 6EJ

tel. +44 (0)1865 552808(home)/267865(work)          fax +44 (0)1865 512237
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home)         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)