I think I would now agree.  It is avoidance of dysphony, not ambiguity,
that motivates the preference for et sic.  There are cases where authors
mention forms which are avoided because of their ambiguity, but these are
distinct from discussions of euphony and dysphony.  But then what is it
that makes -cqu- dysphonous?  For I don't think that we want to say that it
is just somehow dysphonous by nature.  Wilkinson, in his Golden Latin
Artistry, suggests what I think is a good explanation:  "Latin tended to
discard such tongue-twisting words as the early 'stlites' and 'stlocus'...
Cicero preferred the words 'formarum', 'formis' to their synonyms
'specierum', 'speciebus' on grounds of comfort in utterance ('commoditatem
in dicendo').  Further, it has been noted that when a Latin critic or
grammarian says a word is, or is not, euphonious, he often seems to mean
that it slips more, or less, easily from the mouth... Indeed, someone
criticized by Philodemus... held that the *only* form of cacophony was that
caused by difficulty of enunciation," (p.18).  So -cqu-, as a rare
consonant cluster, would be comparatively hard to pronounce, esp. in
comparison with the much more common -ts- of 'et sic'.  In other words, it
is not the ear that is offended, but the tongue.
Philip Thibodeau
Brown University