This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Sorin,

The Codex Ingolstadiensis, noted as Manuscript α, is never cited in the
critical apparatus. The other manuscripts listed, all designated with capital
letters, are cited. The Codex Ingolstadiensis must represent a lost manuscript.

Müller does not specifically state his methods or intentions. Müller may have
been trying to recreate Manuscript α, though he would not be consistent with
such a goal in that he sometimes chooses forms that have no manuscript
authority. (See Iamesa in Britannia, top of page 91, a recognized error for
Tamesa. This would be trying to recreate the autograph, an entirely different
goal.) With certainty, the Vaticanus graecus 191 was the primary source for
Müller's edition.

I do not have a copy of 'Ptolemaios Handbuch der Geographie', but they may be
citing name-forms from X that they consider to be the best, with co-ordinates
from another recension (perhaps Manuscript U that has maps, not cited by
Müller). I would presume that Stückelberger and Graßhoff carefully define their
methods and intentions.

What do they have to say?

> Well, it make no sense because IF Muller used mainly codex X [which he
> thought it’s the oldest of all], then his coordinate for the place ZIRIDAVA
> (Dacia) should be the same as the one given by Alfred STÜCKELBERGER, Gerd
> GRAßHOFF, et al. (eds.) in Ptolemaios Handbuch der Geographie (which gives
> the X codex in the brackets).
>
> And the 2 are different!
>

> S o r i n

Tom Ikins