>Damian has a reasonable request and one that seems to identify somewhat of
>a weakness in MI, i.e., ability to do something with raster images.

>I use MI and Vertical Mapper.  Vertical Mapper uses is quite flexible with
>grid (grd & grc) files.

I suggested to VM that they provide an image import function in their
software, and they blew me off with a statement to the effect that "we only
work with grids that have data, and images don't have data, because they
are just pictures". Which seems pretty dumb; like remote sensing and image
analysis are just "pictures"? Duh.

So I retreated to the ArcView camp. ArcView Image Analyst allows you to
create a grid from an image file. You can them export the grid from Spatial
Analyst as ASCII, and import it into VM, or you can use Spatial Analyst to
create vector polygons (shape files) which can be imported into MI.

I think MI & VM are so superior to ArcView & Spatial Analyst that I hate
point out any areas of superior functionality. But VM snobbed me off, and I
don't think MI reads this list.

Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.