Bill,

Thanks for your always helpful and incisive reply. I don't really need
"region extraction", that's what Damian is looking for. I was just jumping
on the thread to express my general frustration that VM doesn't import
images. VM has such wonderful tools to reproject, resize, trim and merge
grids; all of which are equally relevant to images, that it seems a shame
they don't see fit to import images. And all the while they export images,
in fact, a major marketing point of VM 2.5 was its TIFF export!

>I agree. Pictures (especially the remote sensing types) do
>contain data and they are very common sources for GIS
>information. MapInfo's MIG format could be a start for a tool
>that supports these, or likewise Vertical Mapper could add some
>functionality to their product (after all, they already support
>the concept of a "character-based" grid or *.GRC files, which is
>basically the final result of a raster to vector operation.)
>
>But in the meantime, you don't have to go to ESRI to get what you
>want. I've been using Bob Edwards' "Region Extraction Tool" at
>http://members.aol.com/MapTools/rtv21a.html embedded in an
>application I've been building, and this tool works great. It's
>affordable, fast and results in perfectly edge-matched polygons.
>We're using it to classify soil types in an agricultural
>appliction, and it has been doing the job very well.
>
>- Bill Thoen
>
>Richard Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> >Damian has a reasonable request and one that seems to identify somewhat of
>> >a weakness in MI, i.e., ability to do something with raster images.
>>
>> >I use MI and Vertical Mapper.  Vertical Mapper uses is quite flexible with
>> >grid (grd & grc) files.
>>
>> I suggested to VM that they provide an image import function in their
>> software, and they blew me off with a statement to the effect that "we only
>> work with grids that have data, and images don't have data, because they
>> are just pictures". Which seems pretty dumb; like remote sensing and image
>> analysis are just "pictures"? Duh.
>>
>> So I retreated to the ArcView camp. ArcView Image Analyst allows you to
>> create a grid from an image file. You can them export the grid from Spatial
>> Analyst as ASCII, and import it into VM, or you can use Spatial Analyst to
>> create vector polygons (shape files) which can be imported into MI.
>>
>> I think MI & VM are so superior to ArcView & Spatial Analyst that I hate
>> point out any areas of superior functionality. But VM snobbed me off, and I
>> don't think MI reads this list.
>>
>> Rich
>>
>> Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
>> Greenwood Mapping, Inc.