Whoa, can of worms!

I think its unlikely any sane vendor would selectively ruin their data in
order to simplify copyright monitoring. Of course 'sane' and 'vendor' may be
oxymoronic.

Unless you collect data at 1:1 you have to make some decisions in data
capture what you include/omit. A large mapping organisation which is
continually producing original or value-add digital mapping will have a
house style and electronic paper records to back up these decisions and be
able to demonstrate that they have been taken in the assembling of a product
you bring to market. However, if you simply nick someone else data and
present it as your own you WON'T have those records.

An expert witness is a court of law will be able to demonstrate that all
these are in place  - for example, decisions about which vertices to include
around a complex shape such as a rocky lake - and produce all the
worksheets/data capture and edit details to support this.

I think all this stuff about 'imaginary map details' is an old wives tale,
though I'm sure someone who really knows their stuff can probably look at a
digital map file and have a pretty good idea of how it was made.

BTW this will aply to value-add as well as original data capture. Lots of
companies use Ordnance Survery road data to underpin routing products and
(anecdotally of course) have to spend a lot of time fettling it every time
they get a new batch in.

Paul Crisp
Syntegra

Direct:  0191 461 4522
Mobile: 0776 414 3762
Fax: (0191) 461 1959

Innovation Place Metro Riverside Park
Delta Bank Road Gateshead Tyne & Wear NE11 9DJ