Hello Jukka

your assumption how the the OFFSITE tag is applied for the WCS output is also what I would have expected it to do. I probably did not notice this strange behaviour since my set ups of WCS only used non-overlapping tiles (for WMS I use overlapping tiles and the OFFSITE works fine).

Just an idea (I never tried it): maybe you could try to use a VRT image instead of the tileindex. At least since Gdal 1.7 there is the tool "gdalbuildvrt" that has the options "-srcnodata" and "-vrtnodata" which might do what you want.

All tests I made so far with VRT images worked quite fine, they were exactly treated as a single image. I don't know if the speed might be a bit slower, but WCS is typically slow anyway, so it should not cause problems.

Greetings
Armin