On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Mathias Hasselmann <
mathias.hasselm...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 12.11.2012, 15:17 -0800 schrieb Sriram Ramkrishna:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I know that we have a bunch of new people who joined the list.  We
> > haven't done any thing to use you people.  Sadly, an epic failure on
> > our part.
> >
> > But I am looking for some good people who can fill the role of
> > community manager.  Clearly, we have a problem relating to our user
> > base and some of the decisions have become more controversial than it
> > needs to be.
>
> As you point out, community managers basically work on improving
> communication in projects with separated circles of participants,
> like silently working in-house developers, and a wider community
> of outsiders. Do we really have such situation in GNOME?

We mostly have a problem externally.  But I think we have a situation
internally.  Resolving the situation will help the community to scale up.

>  What would be the inner circle then?

The inner circle would likely be module maintainers.  They are the core
team, followed by the release team,  designers, translators and everyone.
I would like community enthusiastic to be  on equal level with this second
circle.

How did it happen?

I think it's a natural organization.  There is nothing wrong with this
model.  We're just trying to get the communication right.

> Do we really want to consolidate such unfortunate situation, or should
> that inner circle rather be broken again?

There is no issue with core team or anything else.  In fact, thanks to
World of GNOME, I know more of what's going on with design and modules than
I ever have.  Our contacts with the general populace needs work.

Do people feel there is a looming issue with how team members communicate
internally?  I never felt that.

sri