List(s): I received a post from a friend where the Dalai Lama praises
Marxism, calling himself a half-Marxist, Half Buddhist.  Unfortunately I
have already deleted the post, but not before sending it to a few
individuals, including our friend Nestor. His responses remind me somewhat
of Engels's Early Christianity, where Engels posits that early christians
were, in a sense, the embryo of the modern working class movement (He wrote
that after Marx's death, if I remember right).

    My reasons for not posting this originally came from my deep seeded
distrust of a man who once owned his own personal slaves, not to mention ran
a feudal theocracy. I do not trust him, and find his words, at the least,
ambiguous. However, the statements left of this post, spliced inside of
Nestors reply, show that the "god king" is the most enlightened puppet of
Imperialism. Whatever that's worth!

Macdonald

>El 14 Sep 99 a las 21:44, Macdonald Stainsby nos dice(n):
>

> > I don't know what on earth to make of this...
> >

>[The Dalai Lama on Marxism... surprisingly enough,
>supporting its "charitable" side!]
>
>There are a couple of things to be said on this, and in
>fact it would even deserve some collective comment on the
>lists, Macdonald.
>
>To begin with, both Lamaism and Christianism have seen
>capitalism's birth. They thus know capitalism is mortal,
>that it is bound to die. I do not know the details of
>Lamaism (I almost know nothing on it, except for the fact that
>for a time at least the Dalai Lama was a puppet of American
>and British imperialism), but I know better on Catholicism.
>So I will expand a little on this side of the issue.
>
>Catholicism is -the word means exactly this- "the religion
>of all".  As you may know, it was the most succesful
>expression of the wish for equality that arose among the
>deprived masses of the late Roman Empire. Afterwards, the
>priests struck a deal with the Emperor, which was not
>reactionary on _every_ side.
>
>Let me explain what I mean by this: In the end, Catholic
>Christianism  came to represent the ideal world of the
>early West European Middle Age. We should never forget that
>as compared to slavery, and from the point of view of the
>oppressed, serfdom was a giant leap forward (in fact, it
>was a giant leap back into the mainstream trend of
>development of human societies, since the Mediterranean
>slavery was a somehow "aberrant" formation). Thus, during
>its early centuries (keep an eye on this, the Pope is
>always thinking in terms of centuries!), Catholic
>Christianism had a social task to accomplish, not in the
>mean sense of putting the masses to sleep but in the
>structural sense of giving people of an era the best
>explanation of their own place in the world.
>
>Under capitalism, this religion saw its deepest grounding
>sternly under attack. The anathema on usury is not a side
>issue in Catholic (Christian in the original sense) mind.
>It is central, in fact, and expresses the hatred of the
>agrarian world towards the world of money, of the
>qualitative though rustic against the quantitative though
>sophisticated. This is why Jews were the most usual
>financiers in the Middle Ages (that is, usurers), and, MOST
>IMPORTANT YET, this is why Protestantism returned to the
>first part of the Gospel, that is, in a sense Judaized
>Christianism.
>
>The Church fought against this with all her might. The
>struggle was made in the name of the old, and slowly
>decaying servile society, but it also contained sincere
>hatred of the cruel world that was being heralded by Luther
>and Calvin. The founder of the order of the Jesuits came
>quite near to the realization of this, and it is not a
>matter of chance that, given the opportunity, they
>attempted to build a theocratic semi-communist society in
>the Paraguay Missions.

> [...]

How many times have I wondered if it really possible to forge links with a
mass of people when one has never had strong feelings for anyone, not even
one's own parents; if it is possible to have a collectivity when one has not
been deeply loved oneself by individual human creatures. Hasn't this had
some effect on my life as a militant- has it not tended to make me sterile
and reduce my quality as a revolutionary by making everything a matter of
pure intellect, of pure mathematical calculation?
       ---Antonio Gramsci, 1926.