Steve Gabosch

a) where is ideality "located"?
I would answer a) "in cultural artifacts," using the term in its broadest
possible sense (tools, signs, all human creations and observations,
etc.)  I think you would answer a) "in representations."

^^^^^
CB: How about in the relationship between the representations and
represented ? Ideality is a relationship.

^^^^^^^

b) where is value "located"?
I would answer b) with "each particular commodity."  It appears that you
would answer b) in concepts of commodities, but definitely not specific
commodities.

^^^^^^
CB: Value is an abtraction. It has no concrete location.

^^^^^^

c) what is the "essence" of ideality?
I would answer c) with "human activity."  You answer c) with
"representation."

^^^^^^
CB: Doesn't ideality guide human action, as imagination guides the human
laborer unlike the spider or ant or chimp ?

^^^^^

d) what is the "essence of value"?
I would answer d) with abstract labor, or socially determined necessary
labor time.  I am not sure how you would answer this one.

^^^^^
CB: The esssence of an abtraction, would be its definition in symbols.

^^^^^^

e) what is "represented" in a commodity?
I would answer e) in terms of particular commodities being a combination of
concrete and abstract labor.  I am not yet clear on how you would answer
this one.

^^^^^^^
CB: Abstract labor represents the concrete labor ?

^^^^

f) what does the "stamping" of ideality on a cultural artifact?
I would answer f) direct human activity.  You answer f) the interpretation
of the ideal through human activity, but I am not yet clear on what this
precisely means.

^^^^^
CB: When an idea grips masses it becomes a material force, can make cultural
artifacts ?

^^^^^^^

There are several areas to clarify, but the pattern that seems to be
emerging is that on several important issues I tend to think in terms of
direct human activity where you tend to think in terms of concepts and
representations.

Thoughts?

- Steve