I don't know if the BB wants racial harmony -- I
believe that there is somerthing to the divide and
conquer theory of the persistence of racism (John
Roemer has a theorem on this, FWIT!) -- although they
surely don't want race riots. But the BB has always
liked Affirmative Action. (It was urged by LBJ and
implemented as federal policy by Nixon.) It reduces
exposure to lawsuits. It allows them to seem to others
and themselves nonracist in giving advancement to nice
middle class minorities (as well as women, although
the story there is a bit different, probably) and
bright and feisty poor minorities. The BB no longer
likes to think of itself as racist, that's vulgar.
Today you wouldn't even necessarily mind if your
daughter married one if he was like Barak Obama. And
best of all, AA doesn't require an attack on
structural racism, e.g., by requiring full employment,
decent schools and real desegregation both educational
and residential, ending the "war on drugs" (that is,
the war on young Black men), etc.