Marxism-Thaxis] Alan Carling's synopsis of *The Proof of the Pudding:
Reason and Value in Social Evolution*
Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Feb 20 07:55:49 MST 2002

Mr. Carling,

If I might comment further on your thesis, I think you ignore the
first clause of Marx and Engels famous aphorism below in your
development of a sort of absolute "unintentionality" in the
development of human society. M and E say people "make their own
history...". This implies some intention. This is in unity and
contradiction with the statement "but they do not make it just as they
please."  As they are dialecticians, we should not be surprised that
their statement contains a contradiction. But my point here is that
they are saying that the development of society is both intentional
and unintentional.

The important issue for your thesis is that you do not have to discard
all impact of human intention in the development of social forms.

So when you say:

"It seemed appropriate to call this mechanism Competitive Primacy (of
the forces of production) and to support its claims against
alternative conceptions, especially Intentional Primacy (of the forces
of production).[30] The latter conception envisages the deliberate
creation of relations of production of a type that will enhance the
development of the forces of production. It says essentially that
relations attached to superior forces prevail because people have
taken successful collective action designed to bring about this
result, motivated by the economic and social benefits superior
productivity brings in its train. But this requires the intentional
creation of social structure, which has been ruled out by the
arguments of Chapter 4. So the only theoretically defensible version
of historical materialism is the one that centres on the concept of
Competitive Primacy. "

Arguments by intention should not be absolutely ruled out. They can
play a role in contradictory unity with arguments by unintentional
selection. In other words, there is something of a "LaMarckian"
mechanism at this level as well.

Charles Brown

"According to Marx s celebrated saying, people  make their own
history, but they do not make it just as they please; they do not make
it under circumstances chosen by themselves, but under circumstances
directly encountered, given and transmitted from the past. [1] The
purpose of this book is to do justice if possible to both sides of the
contrast introduced by Marx: to explore the relationship between the
received circumstances of history on the one hand, and its active
making on the other. "