Realizing that South Carolina is a kind of special case, this strikes me as
a reflection of what one of the liberals was arguing to me the other day,
that America's just a reactionary, right-wing country because the people
are reactionary and right-wing.  It just isn't, for all the
muddleheadedness and easy distractions.

White Southerners simply did not respond to the events of secession and war
the same way.  And they have responded to later events with still less
unanimity.  And still less are white Southerners some kind of surrogate
stand-in for the white population in the U.S.  (no, not even the males.)

All of these oft-repeated generalizations ignore the fact that,
notwithstanding the hickup of 2008, the participation in elections of those
qualified to vote has been declining since World War II.  And those who are
voting are doing so with less and less enthusiasm for the options.

ML