On 2013-07-01, at 6:31 PM, Einde O'Callaghan wrote:

> On 01.07.2013 20:12, Louis Proyect wrote:
>>
>> Anti-Semitism poses absolutely no danger anywhere in the world to Jews.
>
> I'm sorry to contradict you, Louis. the reports coming out of Hungary are
> quite worrying. People are being beaten up in the streets for participating
> in protests against desecrations of Jewish graves. While it's true that in
> most of Western and Central Europe anti-Muslim politics and activities are a
> greater threat the traditional fascist anti-Semitism is still a living force.
> And even though most attacks by Golden Dawn in Greece are directed against
> Muslim refugees and immigrants they also indulge in old-fashioned
> anti-semitism too. I wouldn't be so sure that traditional anti-Semitism is a
> spent force. Here in Germany the desecration of Jewish cemeteries and
> buildings is at least as common as desecrations aimed at Muslim institutions
> and buildings. Here in Chemnitz, where I live, a popular Jewsih restaurant
> was forced to close because it became increasingly difficult to get insurance
> coverage because it was damaged so regularly by drunken (and not so drunken)
> Nazis. An Arab restau
 rant in the same street had far fewer problems.

As Daniel Rocha has already noted, to the degree that there is a backlash of
sorts against discussion of anti-semitism among those whose anti-racist
credentials are beyond doubt, including on this list, it stems from the
disproportionate attention to the subject generated by the Holocaust industry
which has shamefully exploited it to build support for Zionism and Israel and
to  indiscriminately smear critics of oppressive Israeli policies as
"anti-semites".  The effect of such propaganda has been to obscure and devalue
the immense human tragedy which befell oppressed European Jews, Romas, gays,
and the disabled, and to have given rise to renewed anti-semitic sentiments
based on the perception that "the Jews" own the means of communication and are
using the media and entertainment industries to pursue their own narrow
interests.