On 15 October 2013 13:22, Louis Proyect <l...@panix.com> wrote:

> 4. Black Hawk Down (Somalis as land-based version of Captain Phillips's
> captors)

100% agreed. It is a pity too, since the book - brilliantly written in
fiction style despite exact and exacting research carried out in a manner
seldom seen even in academic history circles - remains the best depiction
of modern warfare and the affects of imperialist mass media on a
generation. It was striking, for example, how many of the combatants stated
that they felt as if they were in a film.

I would add to this list Inglourious Basterds and 300. Yeah, I know they're
not strictly 'history'...but you can see why I include them.

Solidarity,
Seb