On 15 October 2013 18:11, Daniel Lindvall <daniel.lindv...@filmint.nu>wrote:

> Thanks, Seb. I haven't read the book Black Hawk Down. Are you aware of any
> specific inaccuracies in the film? I'm aiming to focus here on actual
> inaccuracies that have political implications. Like in "Captain Phillips"
> when Muse is played by a tall 28 year old who speaks good English, when in
> reality he was anything between 15-19, 5'2 and spoke no English. And the
> way in which the crews' statements contradict Cpt Phillips story (
> http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/).

In terms of direct political implications, the absence in the movie version
of Malaysian and Pakistani units of the United Nations, who led the rescue
convoy to save the encircled Rangers & Delta Force, was considerably
controversial. Musharraf, who I think was still the ruler of Pakistan at
the time the movie was released, even went so far as to denounce the film
for this slight.

There were major complaints too from East Africans and those of East
African descent, because the Somalis in the film are clearly played by
African-Americans and English actors who are clearly of West African
origin. The language they used was also completely different to that of
real-life Somalis. It might not seem like much, but to those from the Horn
of Africa it would be yet another sign (in a film full of them) that the
film's makers just did not care a jot about the racial implications of the
film - which are pretty huge. Especially given that, in reality, out of the
150 or so members of Task Force Ranger, 2 were non-white. Two.

I remember watching the film in the cinema in 2001 with my brother, also a
fan of the book, and book of us almost guffawed at the dumb 'Green/Safe
Zone' and 'Red/Hostile Zone' on the map of Mogadishu at one point. This was
compounded by the cheering locals who join Hartnett et al when they are
running for their lives. This is just hilarious fiction. The reality is
that the entirety of the city, even those (the majority, really) who hated
Aidid and his clan, hated the Americans more. Why? Same old story of
collateral damage/murder. Once the inhabitants of Mogadishu realised that
the US soldiers were trapped in the city, *everyone* came out of fight
them. Young, old, whatever. This sense of an entire city opposing the
Rangers is completely missing in the film.

Actually, the general portrayal of the Somalis was well critiqued on
Counterpunch<http://www.counterpunch.org/2002/02/28/what-s-wrong-with-black-hawk-down/>by
one of the actors, Brendan Sexton III - a man 5 years older than me to
the day, bit of meaningless trivia for you. I only mention his age to point
out that he was only 20/21 when he filmed Black Hawk Down, so his political
awareness was remarkably mature.

That's all really for now. Most of the 'wrongness' of the film is really
down to a tone more than specific errors - a general grisly enjoyment of
the macabre, a bloodthirsty enthusiasm for military hardware and its
application that is totally absent from the original book.

Solidarity,
Seb