A few random comments:

Shaun May wrote:

What are the historic roots of anti-semitism in Europe? In the feudal order in
Europe, the Jews could not hold land in fief and were also excluded from the
feudally-mediated Guild system of petty handicraft. This meant that they were
forced to living by trade (such as hawking and tinkering) or by money lending
(usury, money capital), buying and selling, etc. Trade and usury, as they
developed, began to serve to undermine the feudal order itself, acting as a
dissolving influence on it.

*********************

I'm certainly not well versed in Jewish history, but would only point out that
Avram Leon, author of The Jewish Question, the only Marxist work on Jewish
history
I know of (and the only book on Jewish history I've read with the exception of
Isaac Deutscher's
essay ,The Non-Jewish Jew) offers a somewhat different account. Leon argues
that Jews engaged in trade
not because they were excluded from land ownership and guild handicraft, but
because they
came to Europe as a trading people to begin with, emigrating from Palestine due
to overpopulation,
and stepping into the place of the Phoenecians in the Mediterranean. I believe
he would
also dispute the idea that anti-Semitism was the result of the threat posed by
Jewish commercial
activity to feudal relations. He argues instead that, with the expansion of
commerce during the
second feudal age, non-Jews began to covet the commercial monopolies held by
Jews, and therefore
sought to drive them out. I'm not arguing Leon's position, just pointing it out.

*************************************

Are the apololgists for Ukranian nationalists on this listserve diecting their
fire at RT because they
are unable to answer the actual arguments of those of us who are critical of
the Maidan and the government
in Kiev? No one here is echoing Putin's demagogy to the effect that the interim
government, or the crowds of
the Maidan, are fascist. We are simply pointing out that all nationalist forces
are pro-US/EU, that fascists
play a definite role among them, and that they are not being opposed by any
organized force.
Stop aiming at straw men!

Second, I think it's complete scholastic idiocy to argue that fascists aren't
fascists because, unlike the fascists
of the 30s, there is no workers' movement for them to attack. Would you like to
propose another monicker
for people who hate Jews, gays, immigrants and unions, and who make conscious
use of Nazi symbols?
Would you argue that Anders Breivic isn't a fascist because he laid waste to an
interracial social democratic summer
retreat instead of a union hall? Please! You are carrying on in the best
traditions of the late Gerry Foley, who never met
an Eastern European reactionary he didn't like, and was never at a loss to
distort Marxist concepts beyond recognition
to justify his predilictions.

Jim