On 3/16/14 10:20 AM, turb...@aol.com wrote:
Second, I think it's complete scholastic idiocy to argue that fascists aren't
fascists because, unlike the fascists
of the 30s, there is no workers' movement for them to attack.

That's not the argument. The argument instead is that FASCISM is not a likely outcome in any European country since WWII for reasons that are probably not worth going into at any great length except to say that the conditions that created Nazi Germany, Franco's Spain and Mussolini's Italy belonged to a certain time and place.

Furthermore, except for the Greek military coup in 1967, Europe has been ruled by bourgeois democracies pretty exclusively.

What we are dealing with is a kind of scare tactic whose ultimate source is the Russian propaganda machine and its mouthpieces in the West who have worked overtime to smear the Syrian revolution as a bunch of Sharia-law supporting, heart-munching tools of al-Qaeda and the CIA simultaneously. Islamofascists, Ukrainofascists, etc.