On 6/15/14 9:20 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:
Shamir sees no difference between being a Jew and being a Zionist. In other words, he is the "leftist" counterpart of Abraham Foxman. Just take a look at this:

"Putin’s affability does not turn him into a bountiful source for every Jewish initiative. ...

What is a Jewish initiative? Why did he use the word Jewish rather than Israeli?
Well, that's easy. The context is a discussion of Putin's rather
emphatically-demonstrated philo-Semitism, which in the Russian context is
a bigger deal than it would be in the American. Indeed the whole piece is largely about how the philo-Semite/anti-Semite card is being played in the polemics over
the Ukraine brouhaha. I liked it very much and felt that it showed some
awareness of how many elements are in play, an awareness I find conspicuously
lacking on this distinguished list.
You really need to stop putting a plus where I put a minus.
Like all heuristics, it's not infallible. But as heuristics go, it's not bad.

Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu