#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Proyect wrote:

What's missing in the book is political analysis how to get from the
current stage to something better. Negative critique can only go so far.
What I keep coming back to is the tendency of the revolutionary left to put
forward critiques of the Tsipras's and Hugo Chavez's of the world but an
utter incapacity to win the people to its program. Venezuela has its
Antarsya, as does Spain. Is mounting a left opposition supposed to change
society? Is that what Lenin was about?

How is it that groups like the British SWP or the ISO fail to penetrate
beyond a certain threshold? If the Tsipras approach is so bankrupt, why is
he so popular? I am not asking these questions because I am a Tsipras
supporter but because I am opposed to the sterility of left oppositionism.
How does Costas Lapavitsas write a 268 page book and include no more than 3
pages about political strategy? For that matter, how does Todd Chretien
write an article about differences on the Marxist left about Greece that is
filled with pointless lecturing about "State and Revolution" but fails to
address the question of what to *do next*? Yes, the capitalist state has to
be smashed. Whoopee-fucking-doo.

******************

Has it ever occurred to you that there is a marked preference for things
that seem easy to do, and a strong aversion to things that are hard.
Example 1): Vote for us and we will roll back austerity and stay in the
Eurozone: EASY; Example 2)
2) Mobilize in the streets and factories for an "assault on capital": HARD.
Problem: The easy thing they voted for is impossible. The left critique of
the Syriza leadership isn't wrong, it's just that getting people to see the
necessity of the alternative is a big job.

A majority of Greeks may not like what is now being done to them, and may
even be willing to take a chance on an upstart far-left party, but they are
still products of postwar European capitalism, which is very different from
the capitalism that existed in Europe between the two world wars. Then,
whole sections (though not a majority) of working classes in many countries
were convinced of the necessity of revolution, and prepared to make the
sacrifices revolution entailed. Such workers ceased to exist under postwar
capitalism, which was enormously successful. Workers (and people in
general) are still far better off today, more individualistic and less
self-sacrificing. Revolutionary groups cannot attract large numbers, and
those it does attract are mostly middle class intellectual types who, for
all their good intentions, are still committed to the pursuit of normal,
successful petty bourgeois careers.

But the foundations of the postwar "miracle' have been eroding for some
time, and that erosion has reached crisis proportions in Greece and other
peripheral countries. The problem is to rebuild the solidarity and
commitment that has been lost. This is no easy task, and will take time,
but here are some things that could maybe be done in Greece toward that end.

1) Organize defense squads to guard against Golden Dawn attacks in
immigrant neighborhoods;

2) Organize neighborhood committees to resist evictions;

3) Fight in the unions for general strikes which last longer than the lunch
hour, and shop floor committees to coordinate them;

4) Take government measures that will mean immediate, dramatic improvements
in the lives of ordinary people, thereby cementing popular loyalty to
Syriza : an increase in the minimum wage, a moratorium on layoffs, a
ceiling on rents.( It was, you may recall, measures like these that Castro
took, and that made the Cuban people willing to die for the revolution).

I'm not necessarily proposing these specific measures, just trying to give
a general idea of the kinds of things that could be done to increase the
self-organization and self-confidence of the people in preparation for a
more serious struggle. Neighborhood anti-fascist and anti-eviction
committees and shop floor strike committees, could then perhaps be woven
together into larger councils that could be a basis for dual power. These
are the kinds of things that have to be done. Who is to do the organizing?
I don't know how prepared groups in the Left Platform are to go beyond
parliamentary politics (I suspect not very), but someone once said that if
capitalism (and, we might add, present-day capitalist austerity) could be
voted out of existence, the bourgeoisie would have abolished elections long
ago. And the European bourgeoisie
has indeed gone a long way toward taking economic questions out of the
electoral arena. We must take politics beyond it.

Jim Creegan

Jim Creegan

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <