#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Syriza created an action program for the election, the Thessaloniki program -
<http://www.syriza.gr/article/id/59907/SYRIZA---THE-THESSALONIKI-PROGRAMME.html#>
I haven't spent much time studying this program but my impression is
that a large part of it was about what they were going to
demand/negotiate vis-a-vis the 'troika.'

Syriza's initial effort on these eurozone points did not succeed
except to open up a little time and space and a little wiggle room -
and maybe to gain some sympathy and support internationally.  Settling
for this for the moment has apparently almost split the Syriza central
committee.  Hopefully not split in the sense of a dynamic that will
lead to organizational separation, but split in the sense of
containing two developed contradictory strategic perspectives with
close to equal support.

I think that the Syriza leadership has to engage its supporters/the
public in some sort of discussion about what alternative strategy they
should be considering and what necessary preparation is required to be
able to follow an alternative strategy.

In the meantime i hope that Syriza will begin implementing the
Greek-specific/internal planks of the Thessaloniki program.  Use the
wiggle room they have won to steadily implement the humanitarian
measures of their program, i.e.:

"Free electricity to 300.000 households currently under the poverty
line up to 300 kWh per month per family; that is, 3.600 kWh per year.
Total cost: €59,4 million.
Programme of meal subsidies to 300.000 families without income. The
implementation will take place via a public agency of coordination, in
cooperation with the local authorities, the Church and solidarity
organizations. Total cost: €756 million.
Programme of housing guarantee. The target is the provision of
initially 30.000 apartments (30, 50, and 70 m²), by subsidizing rent
at €3 per m². Total cost: €54 million.
Restitution of the Christmas bonus, as 13th pension, to 1.262.920
pensioners with a pension up to €700. Total cost: €543,06 million.
Free medical and pharmaceutical care for the uninsured unemployed.
Total cost: €350 million.
Special public transport card for the long-term unemployed and those
who are under the poverty line. Total cost: €120 million.
Repeal of the leveling of the special consumption tax on heating and
automotive diesel. Bringing the starting price of heating fuel for
households back to €0,90 per lt, instead of the current €1,20 per lt.
Benefit is expected."

I think Syriza should just steadily, using the parliament, implement
more and more of their Greek/internal program, demonstrating in action
that they are more committed to the well-being of Greek working people
than they are to the dictates of "the institutions," i.e.:

[From Thessaloniki program] National plan to regain employment -

Restitution of the institutional framework to protect employment
rights that was demolished by the Memoranda governments.

Restitution of the so-called "after-effect" of collective agreements;
of the collective agreements themselves as well as of arbitration.

 Abolition of all regulations allowing for massive and unjustifiable
layoffs as well as for renting employees.

Employment programme for 300000 new jobs.

including Restoration of the minimum wage to €751.

And be prepared at whatever point they are confronted by the
"institutions" for working for the benefit of the people instead of
the banks, to mobilize their growing number of supporters in defense
of their own economic and social well-being.  This is class warfare of
course and has to be carried out with optimal possible political
education, mobilization and organization.

According to the Greek publication "Times of Change" on Feb. 27:

"The fledgling SYRIZA-led government will begin to table legislation
in parliament next week to address the following first six priorities:

"Legislating for the 100-instalment repayment plan for citizens’ and
businesses’ outstanding tax and social security debts.
Protecting primary residences from foreclosures
Combating the humanitarian crisis. This legislation package will
include rehiring some unfairly dismissed public servants and
anti-poverty measures such as providing free energy to impoverished
households among others
Re-establishing the shuttered former state broadcaster ERT
Establishing an inquiry about how Greece ended up in the memoranda
Combating tax evasion and corruption, particularly among the wealthy."
<http://www.thetoc.gr/eng/politics/article/syrizas-first-parliamentary-moves>

Syriza Offers Free Food and Electricity in First Legislation

Telesur, March 3

Greece's new ruling party, Syriza, used its first legislative act in
parliament to confront what it refers to as the country’s
“humanitarian crisis,” offering free food and electricity to the most
impoverished.

As the rest of the world looks on and speculates over the left-wing
government's economic deals with Europe, Syriza is pressing on with
its planned social reforms, demonstrating it is honoring its
pre-election pledges.

"The deep recession due to austerity policies and the economic crisis
in the past six years had a dramatic social impact," said the bill,
which was tabled late Tuesday. "This draft law aims at tackling the
humanitarian crisis through measures which ensure access to basic
goods."

The crisis to which the bill refers was created, in part, by years of
harsh austerity measures, leaving many Greeks out of work and on the
poverty line.

Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said that it was his government's
“foremost duty” to eradicate that damage that austerity has caused,
while remaining committed to balancing the budget.

Under the new bill, some 300,000 Greeks will receive food vouchers,
while families with young children will have priority for restored
electricity.

A poll released this month revealed that Syriza has seen its approval
ratings leap over 10 percent since snap elections in January.

Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis announced Saturday that Greece
is considering implementing an “extraordinary tax” on the wealthy in
order to help balance the budgets. Greece’s economy is a key worry for
those who feel that Syriza cannot fulfill its social promises while
honoring the country’s debt program.

<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Syriza-Offers-Free-Food-and-Electricity-in-First-Legislation-20150303-0028.html>

Greece to pass anti-austerity bill
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/03/03/eurozone-greece-bill-idINL5N0W43SU20150303>