#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Just to state my position, I think its clear that Syrians were inspired by the Arab Spring and took to the streets for progressive reasons. Its equally clear that the State reacted repressively and that in the end protestors were justified in taking up arms. However over the intervening years the waters have become less clear. It doesnt help Russia's case that they have taken up the methods and media campaign of the US - circa 2003. If Russia and the US manage to smash up each other's proxy armies, perhaps there would be a small space for progressive forces to re-emerge. However I think things are too far gone for that now