#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Now, onto Turkey, SDF etc.

Chris:

“I would not criticise any rebel group that adopted a similar policy.
What I am criticising is the fact that some rebel groups have become
instruments of a Turkish intervention that is directed against the
Democratic Federation of Northern Syria.”

Elsewhere, Chris disputes my statement that rebels were transferred
north to Euphrates Shield to fight ISIS, claiming they went to fight
the SDF. He claims that Turkey’s claim that its intervention was
directed against both ISIS and the YPG “was a smokescreen,” because,
he claims, Turkey had previously collaborated with ISIS against the
YPG in the northeast.

This seems strange logic. I will leave aside whether or not Turkey
“supported ISIS” in the past - Turkey heavily supported anti-ISIS
rebels, but at a certain point may have maneuvered with ISIS against
the YPG in Kobani, as any self-respecting Machiavellian regime might
do to look after its interests. Such tactical preferencing of one
enemy over another should not be confused with actually “supporting”
ISIS. But regardless, even if in the past Turkey “supported” ISIS, how
is that an argument against what it was doing now?

As I pointed out in my previous post, which Chris has not really
answered, the Turkey/FSA/rebel action under Euphrates Shield cleared
ISIS out of a vast swathe of territory, bordered by Azaz, Jarablus and
al-Bab. The SDF was not present in any of these areas. The only
FSA-SDF clashes were some brief “border” clashes in the region between
Manbij and Jarablus, near the outset of the operation, which the US
put a stop to. How anyone can describe this as an attack on the SDF
while just using “fighting ISIS” as a “smokescreen” I have no idea; it
defies reality.

Try to remember the Stalinist origins of the PKK, comrades - they may
have moved on, but some of their propaganda style reflects old habits.
I recommend we be aware of this and try not to repeat it.

Of course it is true that one of the motivations of the Turkish regime
in helping the FSA drive ISIS from this region was to prevent the YPG
from carrying out its potentially catastrophic irredentist plan to
“link” Kurdish Afrin with Kurdish Kobani by seizing this 6 thousand
square mile stretch of non-Kurdish territory. But in taking part, the
FSA/rebels were not carrying out Turkish orders, as they were acting
entirely in their own interests in recovering this Arab- and
Turkmen-majority territory from ISIS, which had conquered it from
these same rebels earlier. It had never before been controlled by the
YPG, and the YPG had no special “right” to take it.

Finally, Chris rejects my description of the Menagh-Tal Rifaat region
as "occupied Arab territory" which "The rebels [by which he means the
groups allied to Turkey] have the right to re-take [their territory]
from the YPG-SDF". This is the Arab/Turkmen-majority region of
northern Aleppo that was violently conquered from the rebels by the
YPG in February 2016, with the invading Russian imperialist airforce,
when it wasn’t slaughtering the length and breadth of Syria, bloodily
softening up these rebel towns for the YPG to seize.

On reflection, calling them occupied “Arab” territory, on account of
their Arab majority, was a mistake, Just as Kurdish-majority territory
is not “Kurdish.” In both cases, it is Syrian territory, and it is up
to the locals, of whatever ethnic majority, to decide who runs the
place, and how. But apart from the word “Arab”, everything else I
wrote about this occupied territory was correct.

Chris does not address the bloody conquest, the role of Russian
imperialism in this conquest, the resistance of the FSA/rebels in
these towns, the expulsion of the populations, the demands of the
expelled populations for return, the YPG gloating over FSA corpses in
Tal Rifaat during the conquest, etc etc. Rather, he claims:

“This ignores the fact that the SDF has a strong Arab component, and
that many of its Arab members come from a Free Syrian Army
background.” To back this, he notes my discussion in my MLR article of
Nusra’s suppression of two large FSA coalitions, the Syrian
Revolutionaries Front and Harakat Hazm, and notes that I do not
“mention that some of the survivors of Nusra's attacks fled to Afrin,
where they helped form a new, predominantly Arab, group called Jaysh
al-Thuwar (Revolutionary Army), which later combined with the mainly
Kurdish YPG/YPJ to form the Syrian Democratic Forces.”

Therefore, he concludes: “Thus the "rebel" groups allied to Turkey
cannot be considered the sole representatives of Arab people in
northern Syria.  Tal Rifaat is not "their territory", which they are
entitled to "re-take".”

This is actually quite appalling Chris, on many levels. Before I get
to what is wrong with the “facts” and assumptions here, what stands
out again is the refusal to deal with the real world. The role of the
bloody Russian airforce in helping the YPG violently conquer this
region remains unmentioned; Chris thinks the Arabic ethnicity of a
fraction of the SDF means the actual populations who lived there and
the actual rebel formations that were based there, based among those
populations, who now live in Azaz or Turkey, are not entitled to
re-take their own towns from an occupying force that was imposed by an
invading imperialist airforce.

Let’s reverse that: seeing as some of the FSA/rebels are of Kurdish
ethnicity, if they invaded Afrin (not occupied Tal Rifaat, but actual
Afrin) with the direct participation of the invading Turkish army and
airforce, and the populations and SDF fighters were pushed out, then
according to Chris’ logic, they would not be entitled to re-take
Afrin, as long as there is a sprinkling of Kurds among the rebel
forces.

Anyway now to the specifics. Chris is correct that *some* of the
former SRF/Hazm cadre joined the infamous Jaysh al-Thuwar militia,
which allied to the YPG and often spearheaded Russian-backed attacks
on the rebels in late 2015. Their hard line (at one point, when the
YPG and FSA drew up a truce in December, JaT rejected the truce signed
by its own YPG allies) may have been related to a vengeful streak
among these folk. While many FSA cadre do not like the YPG, they tend
to respect them as fighters for their own cause, whereas they have a
rather lower opinion of JaT.

However, *other* former SRF/Hazm cadre, who had taken refuge in
Turkey, joined the Euphrates Shield operation (the official bodies of
these groups did). But a great many, probably majority, simply stayed
in Idlib or Aleppo and joined other FSA or rebel formations. Jamal
Maarouf himself, the former SRF leader and long-tome chief rebel
leader in Idlib till expelled by Nusra, openly spoke out against JaT
from his Turkish refuge.

More generally, Chris has had a tendency in his contributions here (in
some cases more blatantly than here), of grouping the entire gamut of
non-YPG, non-Nusra rebels into two categories: one he labels
“Turkish-backed” rebels, who he thinks are mere puppets of the AKP
regime, and the other are those he thinks are still loyal to the
original democratic aims of the revolution and so have joined the SDF.
There is little in between, and little complexity within, according to
this schema. But this is simply a PYD-centred binary view of the
world.

A relatively few tiny rebel groups have joined the SDF. A majority of
rebel groups, including the majority of democratic, non-sectarian
rebel groups, have not joined the SDF. Most are loosely allied to
Turkey, only to the extent that Turkey continues to provide them a
lifeline, as has been the case throughout the conflict; almost none of
them have ever picked up arms against the YPG to act as Turkish
proxies (though some have fought the YPG at times, where neither side
has necessarily had clean hands, for their own reasons). Of these,
some are in Euphrates Shield, indicating a closer alliance with Turkey
at this point; but even the majority of these are not Turkish pawns,
but rather have simply not been forced (yet?) by Turkey to go to war
against the YPG/SDF or against HTS. A much smaller group within
Euphrates Shield may be described as outright Turkish proxies (eg
Sultan Murad).

There is also great variation within the ranks of the SDF, of course;
the historically most significant FSA ally of the YPG, the Raqqa
Revolutionaries Front, has continually had a very up and down
relationship with the YPG, but in the Raqqa region there was simply no
alternative for them: it was ISIS or Assad or SDF, so they made a
logical choice. Now, however, they have almost ben fully sidelined by
the Ocalanist clique who effectively run the SDF despite all the local
democratic structures (geez, when haven’t we seen that kind of
structure before?):

“The same is true when it comes to the liberation of Raqqa: Only those
who display obedience are allowed to take part. The result is that one
rebel group -- which has fought against IS longer than any other,
doesn't belong to the Islamist camp and took part in extended
negotiations for American support -- is being kept away from the
fighting by force of arms.

"Things actually began quite cooperatively," says Abu Isa, a leader of
Raqqa Revolutionaries' Brigade who is basically under village arrest
in the Kurdish region of Syria. He can receive visitors, but he isn't
allowed to leave. "We set up a joint operations headquarters together
with the Kurds, just as we had done with the Free Syrian Army. But
following the victory in Kobani, everything changed. The YPG officer
with whom we had negotiated our cooperation was transferred and his
successor said he knew nothing about it and was just following
Öcalan's orders. The Americans wanted to support us, but they then
changed their minds. Sorry, they told us, but our only allies now are
the Kurds."

“The final break came when Abu Isa and others demanded that Raqqa be
liberated by rebels from the city and that residents be allowed to
choose their own city council. "That's why we took to the streets in
2011, for freedom and rights," Abu Isa says. Everybody in Raqqa knows,
he adds, that the Arabic-Kurdish military alliance, the SDF, is just a
guise for the PKK-allied Syrian Kurdish party and its militia, the
YPG. "How do the Kurds hope to control Raqqa? It's an Arab city. It
won't go well."
(http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/kurdish-pkk-expanding-grip-on-northern-syria-a-1151451-2.html)

Anyway, getting back to the similarly fraught alliance of sorts the
other FSA/rebels have with Turkey, labelling the bulk of rebel groups
“Turkish-backed” rebels is crude debating device. The aim is to
simplify, and hence slander. What Chris forgets is that if we want to
play that game, then every time we refer to the YPG or SDF, we should
call them “US-backed” fighters, as the western media now does (at
least it is more honest than using that term for the FSA, but still
incorrect). The SDF alliance with the US is much tighter than that of
other rebels with Turkey; in fact it is probably the tightest
relationship of any two forces anywhere in Syria. Yet as a rule, I do
not use this debating trick, even if I think it somewhat justified.