#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Chris: "The US kept sanctions on Iran even after the UN lifted its
sanctions. There are exemptions which have allowed some deals.  But
why have sanctions at all if Iran is such a great ally? I think it has
something to do with Iran's support of Hezbollah against Israel."

My argument was not that the US and Iran were "great allies." It was
that they are, *in practice*, in most of the main theatres of conflict
in the Mideast *at present*, allies, in sharp contrast to Trumpist
rhetoric.

The reasons for the long-term war of rhetoric, as well as the mild
sanctions that Chris notes, are, as I said, an interesting topic for
research. I'm more than open to suggestions. I have no hard and fast
opinions.

However, Chris' view, probably a common one, that "it has something to
do with Iran's support of Hezbollah against Israel" only creates more
questions, not answers. That would have been a good answer up till
Hezbollah's liberation of southern Lebanon from Israeli occupation in
2000. Actually, the Iran-Israel "conflict" is, even much more than the
US-Iran one, a blatant war of rhetoric, mediated by geographic
distance which makes it all the more harmless. It is the Arabic
peoples living in between who get slaughtered by Iran and Israel while
they shout at each other. However, due to the lucky coincidence that
southern Lebanon just happened to be heavily populated by Shia, the
Iranian-backed Shia militia Hezbollah took the lead in the national
liberation struggle. This enabled Iran to appear to be "fighting
Zionism", in an actual hot war, when in fact this was an entirely
rational liberation struggle. Hard to imagine how different history
may have been if southern Lebanon were populated by Sunni, and the
Shia were unaffeced up north somewhere.

But once Lebanon was liberated in 2000, Iran and Hezbollah itself were
then a a loss as to how to continue to justify the "resistance"
ideology that had grown as a result, which for one thing facilitated
the mullah regime terrorising its own population via the use of
bullshit. The brief and bloody flare-up between Israel and Hezbollah
in 2006, when Hezbollah kidnapped a few Zionist troops and Israel
destroyed half of Lebanon and killed 1500 Lebanese civilians in
response, perhaps briefly gave the rhetoric a bit more "meat,"
however, and ironically, but even Nasrallah had to admit that the
punishment meted out on Lebanese civilians was not worth his games.

But regardless, since 2006, the Israeli-Lebanese border has been
stone-cold quiet (not sure if it was as quiet as the Syria-Israel
"border" on occupied Golan for 40 years under Assad, but almost as
much). No-one claims Hezbollah did jack "against Israel" over the last
11 years. Instead, since 2011, and especially 2013, Hezbollah has
turned itself into a death squad for Assad engaged in mass murder and
sectarian cleansing of the Syrian Arab population. I'm sure they shout
some "anti-Zionist" slogans while they do this.

So, given that Hezbollah does nothing against Israel, it is unclear
why Iran's support for Hezbollah "against Israel" would be a reason
for any *real*, as opposed to rhetorical, US hostility to Iran -
except in as much as historical grievances die hard and slow, with
wounded pride and credibility and all that at stake. Therefore, the
case is still wide open for me.