#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Further response to Michael Karadjis (part 2)

Michael quotes my statement:

"If the 'rebels' are no longer fighting the Assad regime, should they still be
called 'rebels'?  Some former rebel groups have become instruments of Turkish
intervention in Syria".

He accuses me of double standards, because I have not criticised the Syrian
Democratic Forces, even though the SDF also "does not fight Assad".

The SDF has a policy of not initiating armed conflict with the Assad regime
forces, but fighting back if attacked.

I would not criticise any rebel group that adopted a similar policy.  What I am
criticising is the fact that some rebel groups have become instruments of a
Turkish intervention that is directed against the Democratic Federation of
Northern Syria.

Michael quotes my statement that:

"There has already been a 'counterrevolutionary agreement' between Turkey,
Russia and Assad.  Last year some Turkish-backed groups withdrew from Aleppo
city and other areas where they had been fighting against Assad's forces.  Some
of them were transferred to the northern part of Aleppo province in order to
fight against the SDF".

Michael disputes this, saying:  "....no, they were transferred to northern
Aleppo province to fight ISIS, not the SDF".

Turkey said its intervention was directed against both ISIS and the YPG.  But
this was a smokescreen.  Turkey had accepted ISIS controlling a section of the
Syria/Turkey border, including the town of Jarablus, for several years.  Turkey
had collaborated with ISIS in attacking Rojava.

It was only after the SDF had liberated Manbij from ISIS, and was advancing on
Jarablus, that Turkey invaded.

Turkey succeeded in blocking further SDF advances, but was unable to reverse
the gains already made.  Turkey was warned against trying to capture Manbij by
the US, which was worried this would divert SDF resources away from the
campaign against ISIS in Raqqa.  However Turkey and its allies have continued a
campaign of harassment by bombarding SDF-controlled towns (including Tal
Rifaat).

Michael makes several references to the SDF's capture of Tal Rifaat in February
2016.  He claims the Menagh-Tal Rifaat region is "occupied Arab territory", and
that "The rebels [by which he means the groups allied to Turkey] have the right
to re-take their territory from the YPG-SDF".

This ignores the fact that the SDF has a strong Arab component, and that many
of its Arab members come from a Free Syrian Army background.

In his Marxist Left Review article, Michael mentions the violent suppression of
the Syrian Revolutionaries Front and Harakat Hazm (both of which were regarded
as part of the FSA) by Jabhat al-Nusra.  But he doesn't mention that some of
the survivors of Nusra's attacks fled to Afrin, where they helped form a new,
predominantly Arab, group called Jaysh al-Thuwar (Revolutionary Army), which
later combined with the mainly Kurdish YPG/YPJ to form the Syrian Democratic
Forces.

Thus the "rebel" groups allied to Turkey can not be considered the sole
representatives of Arab people in northern Syria.  Tal Rifaat is not "their
territory", which they are entitled to "re-take".

Chris Slee