#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis Proyect says:

"Waiting to see a single article since 2013 about the brutal siege of
East Ghouta. Maybe if Assad left them alone, they'd have a chance to
organize seminars on Murray Bookchin's writings and see the light."

Assad is not the sole problem for democracy activists in eastern Ghouta.
Reactionary armed groups control the area, and violently repress those who
challenge their rule.

Four prominent activists, Razan Zaitouneh, Wael Hamada, Nazem Hamadi and Samira
Khalil,  were abducted by armed men in December 2013 in the town of Douma in
the eastern Ghouta area.  They have not been seen since.  They are believed to
have been murdered by the Army of Islam, the strongest militia in the area.

Yassin al-Haj Saleh refers to "the two-fold character of the battle imposed on
Syrians: against the Assadist necktie fascists and against the Islamist
long-bearded fascists."  (Quoted in Burning Country, page x)

I don't know if anyone in eastern Ghouta ever read Murray Bookchin's writings.
But some residents of the area were certainly inspired by Omar Aziz, who
advocated and worked for the formation of local councils.  Aziz died in one of
Assad's prisons.

Walid Daou has written an article on "The experience of local councils in the
Syrian revolution":

http://www.al-manshour.org/node/7415

While supportive of the councils, Daou points out their "shortcomings...at
least in terms of application."

He says:

"Armed groups remained outside the supervision of local councils. At the same
time, the Syrian National Council, the Syrian interim government, and the
National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition forces monopolized
the "high political rhetoric."

"Thus, the original idea behind the councils became meaningless. Under the
hegemony of weapons and conditional funding, the space for council work closed
up. Thus, the possibility of building an alternative, democratic authority from
below, which could lead the revolution and speak in its name, was diminished."

Another problem was the limited participation of women.  According to Razan
Ghazzawi:  "Women and youth have very little representation in the ranks of
either the local councils or the Syria National Coalition".

https://www.opendemocracy.net/north-africa-west-asia/razan-ghazzawi/seeing-women-in-revolutionary-syria

This contrasts with the role of women in Rojava and the broader Democratic
Federation of Northern Syria.

My point is not to denigrate the work of activists operating in very difficult
circumstances, under attack from both the Assad regime and reactionary rebel
groups, but rather to highlight the achievements of the DFNS.

Chris Slee