#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Salih Muslim's statement that "many who were siding with the insurrection were
coming from the mosques" was very unfortunate in its wording.  But I think he
was referring to the  Islamist (and Sunni sectarian) politics of much of the
rebel leadership.  He said the goal of the PYD was a "democratic and secular
state".  The Islamists had a different goal, so they were not allies.

When Salih Muslim talks of the "regime change project", he is not referring to
the original uprising against Assad, but the attempt to use that uprising to
instal a new government backed by Turkey and the West.  He makes the point that
such a government was likely to be repressive towards the Kurds.

Chris Slee