#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The picture with the Assad portraits was disconcerting, but I don't think we
should give it too much significance.

It happened when a pro-Assad militia unit arrived in Afrin to assist in the
defence of the area against the Turkish invasion.  I think that cooperation
against the invasion is legitimate.

But I recognise that there are dangers in this cooperation.  If Afrin (and
Rojava more broadly) becomes dependent on the Assad regime for its defence, it
could lead to downplaying the struggle for democracy in Syria.

But this is a reflection of the difficulty of making a revolution in a society
under siege.

Chrs Slee