But neither of the "two essentially different concepts" is an account of the
Abrahamic (Judeo-Xn-Islamic) notion of deity.

The Roman attitude to religion was classically, so to speak, summed up by
Gibbon: "The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned
religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and
by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes
of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by
the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the
magistrate, as equally useful."

But the Christian publicly (and the Jew, largely privately) said of these
various modes of worship, "I do not believe and I will not serve." You're
precisely right that it was a political crime, as illustrated in Pliny. (And
you're also right to note that it didn't all change under Constantine, as
liberal mythology has it.)